Saturday, October 23, 2010

Observations

Do you ever wonder where the world is going?

I do. Whenever someone brings up the second law of thermodynamics, or that the world keeps spinning into chaos, my head starts spinning into thoughts.
While I've been here in Europe I've been formulating pictures in my mind of where Europe is headed by observirng what is around me. For example:

Bikes. With the exception of smoking, Europe is going green. Bikes are the new cars. Not only are they cheaper, but they are easier to deal with in a crowded city and they save the air.

Public, open-air Urinals. Europe seems to have found a way to charge for all the necessities in life. Drinking fountains are unheard of, and public restrooms for free? Not a chance. But....boys will be boys, and as a way to keep 'em from just going in the streets, they invented these public urinals. You can find them in the middle of the sidewalk, which is most convenient as Mitch would say. So besides finding a way to charge for everything, the world is also becoming incerasingly innovative.

(Sadly this innovative idea is only for men. The elimination of gender discrimination is an innovative idea still needing improvement.)

Market Integration. As an economics student, I love this idea. I would argue that the pros far out weigh the cons for more market integration. A Domino's Pizza in Amsterdam is just another example of local companies expanding to other markets. Some people would call this "Westernization" but there is a lot more to it that they fail to mention. I won't dwelve into this topic just now but I'll just mention that I think it is a direction the world is headed--more cultural and economic integration. We are all entitled to our own opinions on this matter.

The world may be increasinly forward thinking, looking for ways to expand markets, or innovate, or save the environment, but the world is not forgetful. Most of Europe has different ideological views than I do, but understanding thier past makes me know why they view things differently. I observe that people in Europe do not forget the wars that have torn this continent apart. I admire them for their remembrance, for I truly believe that it is critical for the world to remember and learn from the past.

What have you observed?



1 comment:

Kate said...

An hour ago I observed Jason trip and nail his forehead on the corner of our (your) entertainment center. A big gash now lies on his forehead, but I think it is actually small enough that he won't need stitches. Why do mom and dad always go out of town? I would love to get dad's opinion on it right now.