Sunday, October 10, 2010

Amster, Amster

. . . . yes I know you were thinking it (Dam, Dam, Dam).


I got to go to Amsterdam!



Don't worry though, we avoided the Red Light district (the prostitute area of town) and did not go in this Sex Musuem. I found it amusing that all the people in line were men and this guy came out smiling so I took a picture.


We did get to enjoy the flower market however, and see all the fabulous bulbs on sale--unfortunately we won't be here in the spring to enjoy the tulips in bloom in the fields.

We loved wandering the streets here. It was so beautiful with the fall and the leaves changing and falling. The buildings are so picture-esque and EVERYONE rides a bike. I loved it here-but I would have to complain about the city not being very "pedestrian friendly"--I nearly got killed by a biker because I thought I was walking on the sidewalk and all of a sudden it changed into a bike lane! If I had a bike there, I would love it though.


That says "I am Amsterdam"

We got to go to Anne Frank's house (hiding place) and the Van Gough musuem. The Van Gough musuem was by far one of my favorite musuems ever--it may be because I love so many of Van Gough's works as well as Monet and Daubigny who were also featured.

It was a beautiful day in Amsterdam and we enjoyed ourselves immensely!
How was your weekend?





4 comments:

Ali said...

I love the Van Gogh museum! And the Anne Frank house is pretty amazing to see huh? I almost got killed by bikers so many times when I went there. Your trips are so fun! Amsterdam looks beautiful!

Mandy said...

Totally remember that song - They took a train to Amsterdam. Amster Amster (shh shh shh) haha. How COOL Heath. You are going to so many neat places. There is a great poem I will post the link to that mentions both of those places - and it is really beautiful. Miss you lady.

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2002/03/09

Laura said...

so jealous! that sounds so amazing! i am so glad you guys are having this amazing opportunity together. i sure miss you too though! love you!

Kristina Ricks said...

How awesome. Hope you are having the time of your life - can't wait to see you when you get back, hope you have a wonderful second half of your time in Europe!