Thursday, September 30, 2010

Exhilarating

I'm totally someone that prefers company to being alone (most of the time), especially when the company is Mitch. But today I experienced something exhilarating alone.

Since Mitch had to be out late for a working retreat (how lame that wives were not invited) I decided to spend my evening by going straight to the Museum of Costume and Lace after work (before dark) and then watch the General Relief Society broadcast by myself.  It was exhilarating to be able to be alone, not only in a huge city, but in a foreign city,  and know that I was considered a "local" compared to the 1-day visitors that I walked past because I knew my way around. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the sixties exhibition at the museum---what a wonderful period that must have been to wear fashion. I sort of wish we could go back to having those awesome hair-do's. 

Watching the broadcast was a special experience. I hope those of you who are back home got to enjoy it.  I was surprised at how "relieved" I was when I started watching the broadcast. In a foreign country, I have gotten so used to being the only one on the metro that is mormon, and one of the few that can't understand what anyone else is saying. It was so nice to remember that in a different part of this world, there are so many women that have the exact same values and goals in life that I do, and speak the same language as me with the same accent. I admire women that live in foreign countries and now understand how valuable the Relief Society is as a refuge and place to feel united with other women with the same values. 

I had one other exhilarating thought during the broadcast that I want to share here. Everyday at work and at home doing homework, I am constantly thinking about globalization and how much the world stands to benefit from free trade. I realized that the Church has truly embraced "globalization." Did you notice that most of the stories about strong, faithful sisters were about women in different countries? I have gotten to witness first hand in this ward how true it is that some of the strongest people in the Church come from not only outside of Utah, but outside of the country. 

I am so sorry this is getting long, you can stop reading if you want, but this is like a journal entry so I have to say one more thing about this. My new ward is bilingual--English and French. Sacrament meeting is in one language one week and the other the next week. In Relief Society, we meet together for announcements, and then split up into English and French.  Most commonly during the English part, it is me the only American, and then Asian, South American, or African sisters for whom English is the second language, and French is not the first. It is such a treat every Sunday as I hear these women humbly speak their testimonies in the English words they know. Most of them are converts and still learning new things about the doctrine, but they are so spiritually strong that they strengthen me. I am grateful for them, and I am grateful for all you back at home that have strengthened me to be able to recognize the blessings that I am now getting from this new experience.  What an exhilarating evening it has been! I love being a woman and a sister! 

P.S. President Monson's talk was tear jerking, humbling, and absolutely beautiful. 

4 comments:

A Mitton said...

Okay first, Museum of Costume and Lace?? How sweet is that!

Heather, I love you. I've actually been thinking a lot about the Church and globalization too, especially after a conversation in my Book Publishing course. I'll send you and Mitch an email about it, because I think it's something you'd be interested in.

And speaking of Mitch, he is one of my favorite people too! And you, of course. But really, it's true. I'm glad you both feel the same way about me :)

Kate said...

It is fun to hear about the cool things you can go see and about your ward. I must confess-- I fell asleep during the second and third talks of the RS broadcast. Such is the life of a tired mom. But I am looking forward to reading them in the Ensign.

Ali said...

Heather, you are so great! I'm so proud of you going out and doing that by yourself. How cool are you?! I want to go to this museum!
I thought President Monson's talk was amazing. That sure gave me a lot to think about. I'm way excited for conference this weekend!
Your ward sounds so awesome. What an amazing experience.

Mandy said...

You are the sweetest Heather. I think that is so exciting that you were in a foreign country, and having that amazing adventure, and then you could be watching the same broadcast I did at home in Alpine.

I felt similar to the women in the ward in CT. Many of them were foreigners, and almost all of them were converts. They have a special sort of testimony. Love you Heather.

And can I have your address in Belgium?