Thursday, December 27, 2012

An African Christmas

10 years ago I never had visiting Africa on my list of top 10 places to visit. (Sure I thought it would be great to go, but I had a plethora of other places I would have picked first). Then my dad got asked to go do some vision projects in the DR Congo and since my mom had some health issues, I got to be his companion. It was tough. The smells are almost unbearable, I always felt hungry, I got tired after long days of traveling and working, and the living conditions are heart breaking. But it was also life changing. There are so many Africans making the best of what they can and trying to help those around them. It made me want to be a better person. I guess it is one of those things you can't really describe, you just have to experience for yourself. Anyway, since that first trip to Africa back in 2006, my dad has gone back 2 or 3 times a year setting up vision projects for the LDS Church. Africa has grown to hold a special place in our family. My mom has been his primary companion on these trips and I'm proud to say she is keeping the fabric market in business. For Christmas this year she made each of her children a beautiful African quilt. Each one a little different, full of crazy colors and patterns (one of my favorite parts of Africa is the visual feast of colors and designs). I love my quilt! Thank you mom!


3 comments:

Ali said...

Those are gorgeous! So cool!

Kate said...

I love mine too.

Laura Pace said...

Ok I felt bad that I didn't comment when I blogged stalked you!! I'm jealous of your Africa adventure!! What an amazing experience! FOLLOW ME laurajaminpace.blogspot.com