Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A Companion

I've been reading a lot of teen fiction lately. I would say it is a guilty pleasure but I don't feel that guilty about it. Anyway, I'm a sucker for the love stories in them. I feel my heart get a little faster when the girl talks about her skin burning wherever the special man brushed against her. And sometimes I have to remind myself, wait--this whole story spans about a month and by the end they are in love? Really? But who cares, it's just a story.

So on Sunday, Mitch and I got released from the singles ward bishopric. I never thought I would be so heart broken to leave a singles ward. But there is one point of that meeting that I hope to remember always, which is why I'm putting it here. As Mitch is up giving his "farewell speech" he makes the comment that he has felt a little guilty about leaving me alone for so long on Sundays and Tuesday evenings. And then he looks straight at me with a grin and says "well Heather, you got me back." I can only imagine what I looked like at that moment: puffy-eyed from crying, sniffing, and since my nose is stuffy my giggle comes out more as a snort. And even though he didn't touch me or brush against me, I felt a surge go through all my nerve endings. Mitch and I don't have a relationship like these post-apocalyptic, love in the face of death stories--but what we have is real and deep. I'm so glad to have you as my companion, Mitch.

Happy Valentine's Day.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

You two are such an adorable couple. I'm so glad you posted!! I've been thinking about you guys:)

Katie said...

well isn't that the cutest post I've ever read!