Friday, November 19, 2010

Harry Potter and the Scriptures

I consider myself a Harry Potter Fanatic. I've read all the books at least three times, and my favorite ones perhaps 4 or 5 times. I love the movies, even if some of them are cheesy or poorly made, and I have been known to day dream of life at Hogwarts on occasion.

On facebook, everyone is talking about how amazing Harry Potter is. Its almost as if its a contest to see who exactly is more devoted to Harry. And I found myself wondering what the world would be like if everyone loved the scriptures as much as they love Harry Potter.

I even wished myself once that the scriptures could be as fun to read as Harry is. I think I would read the scriptures A LOT more if they were. Then I realized, there are so many stories from the scriptures that ARE just as good.

For example, think of having to work for 14 YEARS to marry the love of your life? If that were a classic book it could have potential to top Pride and Prejudice for the ultimate love story. And what about the war stories in Alma? There are so many good ones that could beat out the Patriot or Gladiator for the epic battle movie. We think watching a man trying to survive on an isalnd like in Cast Away is fascinating; well what about watching people try and survive in a boat "tight like unto a dish" without having any idea of where they are going?

I have learned two important principles that I need to always remeber. First, the scriptures aren't meant to entertain, they are meant to to teach us faith and obedience. And second, maybe I should devote my heart better to the scriptures than to Harry, because the stories are just as motivating, and what is even cooler-they are TRUE stories.

So, I still love Harry, and there is nothing wrong with wanting to read the books over and over again. But I've decided to instead of devoting my time to telling people on facebook about how obsessed I am with Harry, to make a better effort to apply that love and devotion to the scriptures. I think it will be very rewarding.

And P.S. Harry Potter does have some awesome ties to our relgious beliefs. Thanks to Allison I am learning some really neat connections.

Do you ever think about which scripture stories would make for the greatest books or movies?

5 comments:

Christa said...

I was so excited to read this post when I saw the title! haha I love Harry Potter and I've ofter thought some of the same things. If I would read my scriptures lIke I read Harry Potter I would be a much better scriptorian. It isn't as entertaining though...It would be so fun if there were novels about some of the stories in the Book of Mormon. Some of them would top some of the best stories now...but you are right in their pourpose of teaching rather than entertaining. Thank you for your insight on the subject. It's one I often think about!
p.s. You're going to be home so soon and I'm so excited!

A Mitton said...

You mentioned me! I'm honored, haha.

Really though, there are very Christian themes throughout the books. Family, loyalty, love conquers all. Harry in a savior role. It just doesn't become blatantly apparent until the end.

I do agree with what you said, and I've thought about that a lot as well. This argument carries weight with a lot of the ways we spend our time. Not that we should spend ALL our time immersed in the scriptures, but I'm sure I definitely should spend more.


(And I just got back from the movie. It was very well done.)

beck beck said...

I love this I love this I love this! So great! It makes me want to read HP and the scriptures simultaneously :)but really Heather, such a great point that the scriptures are pretty rad... although, I still wish I could apparate now and again. Love you!

Mandy said...

Actually yes I have thought about it. I am starting to work on a book myself and some of my best inspiration comes from the scriptures. Lately it is the 2,000 stripling warriors. I really like this thought Heath.

Laura said...

Yes, all the time. I've talked to many people about the war stories in Alma especially--but they would be rated "R" so we couldn't see them anyway :P

Heather I miss you! Be safe for your last few weeks/days.