Friday, September 11, 2009

Sept. 11th

Walking to campus at 7:45 a.m. is great--great because you can actually find a parking spot.  The weather at 7:45 a.m. however is still a bit chilly, and consequently I wore a jacket to school today.  However, at approximately 12:53 p.m, campus is a little too hot for walking around.  I walked past the Smoot building at this time, and as I was taking off my jacket to prevent any noticeable signs of sweat,  I realized that the Air Force ROTC had it way worse than I did.  In honor of Sept. 11th, the men were doing some formal show.  Two of the men had to stand in front of the Flag, sun blaring down on their navy suits, for an HOUR! I felt so bad for them in that heat that I kept my jacket on.  Boy, that did not look fun at all for them.  But they did it.  And it got me thinking.  I was in 7th grade when Sept. 11th occurred.  I don't have any heroic connections of family member's dying in it.  I don't know anyone that died that day, but I do know that a lot of people are thinking of loved ones who did die that day. 
 My tribute to them is to honor my little sister.  She is a loved one of mine that passed away, not on Sept. 11th, but I hope that now is an appropriate time to talk about her.  Anne Nicole died as a 3 week old baby from trisomy 18.  (I am still not exactly sure what that is, I just know that she was born with a lot of complications.)  I was three at the time, so I only have a few memories of her alive.  She would be 17 if she were here today.  My younger sister Karren, who is only 15, has grown so tall and beautiful, that I can't imagine the babe that Anne would be right now.  I do know that I got married on her birthday this year--Aug. 22nd.  We certainly had a big celebration on her day, but I never got the chance to tell her happy birthday this year because I was too busy enjoying being married for the first time! So, even though I hate being late for events, I still believe in the quote "better late than never." Sorry it is late Anne, but Happy Birthday!! I love you!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Heather, it made me cry to picture another tall and beautiful sister standing with us in all of your wedding photos. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Love you!