Sunday, January 9, 2011

"An expensive way of doing things cheaply"


My parents got my sisters and I these beauties for Christmas. When I was talking to an old Jerusalem friend about the classes that came with the machine to learn how to use it, he commented "You know, sewing is just an expensive way of doing things cheaply. Either you spend $30 dollars on a shirt, or you buy a nice machine, all the supplies, the fabric, and then spend 7 hours to make the shirt. Which way is really cheaper?"

I laughed, because he does have a good point if I decide to never use this machine. But good thing I know from economics that one day, the sewing machine will have been a terrific investment because the fixed costs will have long been covered. But he forgot to factor in one IMPORTANT thing--that sewing yourself brings SATISFACTION that buying things can't bring. I still plan to buy most of my clothes instead of making, but I am looking forward to the many years ahead spent making wonderful crafts with this machine. I doubt I will ever become an expert sewer, but for now I can just enjoy the satisfaction that I can produce something cute on my own.

Thank you mom, for all of the sewing tutorials over the years. And anyone who wants to have a sewing party--count me in!

6 comments:

Rebecca Woolston said...

Heather! I got a sewing machine for Christmas too, are you taking the classes at Dave's Bernina because that's where mine are. And I am guessing that it was Andrew that made the comment right?

Laura said...

haha! Guess what I got senior year of high school? And guess where I was every tuesday night with my mom? That's right! I got a sewing machine and went to Dave's for classes. I loved it! You learn so much about how to use these wonderful machines! I wish you lived closer so we could sew together. I'm starting a dress this week!

Kate said...

Brilliant analysis.

Rachael said...

that is so fun! You will always love to have a sewing machine!

Christa said...

hey I got a really cute mini and cheap sewing machine for Christmas... we should have a sewing party? Did you make that scarf that you wore to stacey's cealing?I should take a class from you on how to make those...it was so cute!

Mandy said...

Haha I got one for Christmas too and it is kind of true... At least as far as clothes go. But as for curtains, pillows, and kids Halloween costumes someday?

Totally worth it :)