Thursday, October 29, 2009

World on Stop for a Day


What would I do if the world paused for a day?
First thing that pops into my mind (no surprise to anyone who knows me well):
I would got to all the restuarants I can think of and EAT EAT EAT! I would eat Cafe Rio, Ruth's Chris, Outback, Olive Garden, Zupas, Five Guys.....I would eat so much I am getting so excited just thinkg about it.
What would other people do?
Assuming that everyone elsein the world is frozen, I asked my friend what he would do:
Kiss a really cute girl (typical)
Ride nice cars at the dealership
Try and help people--for example, if they were falling, he would put them back on their feet. If someone looked hungry he would put food in their hands.
It is interesting that many of our first impulses are to do things that only gratify ourselves. Take me for example, the first thing I thought of was to eat. But how much cooler would I be if I used that time to help other people instead of just eat. (an occasional break to eat would be okay)
Again those who know me know that I am pretty competitive in school. My first impulse is to not help those around me cause it increases my chance of getting a good grade. But I have really been working on training myself to change my first impulse. Marriage has especially trained me to do good at that. My first impulse is starting to change from "me" to "you." And I have found that helping those around me in school makes me more happy than just thinking of myself!

No comments: